Youtube Stories

Over my countless hours browsing YouTube, and making my own YouTube videos, I've gathered some interesting, questionable, and hilarious stories. Today I will describe my adventures in getting banned from Google Adsense, and what it was like to have a collaborative channel with Martin Dalling. Keep in mind that most of this happened a while ago, and I've had a hard time not cringing as I write this because I made some bizarre decisions.

When I was just starting YouTube I had immediate dreams of grandeur and wealth, as I'm sure we've all had at some point. The videos I created were horrible, to say the least, but I was still confused as to why they weren't getting the views I wanted, because we all knew: views = cash money. Being the young foolish lad that I was, I didn't comprehend that using a view bot would be illegal. So, I went ahead and downloaded a program that would view my videos automatically (a view bot) and earn me that dough. To my astonishment, my channel was quickly restricted from making money off of videos. I was banned from Google Adsense (the program that placed ads on my videos, and paid me for the traffic). Being sad but resolute (and rapidly growing to love making videos) I made another channel, with a new Google Adsense account. After a few videos I got banned again, and the process repeated several times. Eventually I realized that it would not work, and became disheartened. What was the point of making videos if I didn't have anything to show for them in the end? Even though I loved creating content, the revenue I earned motivated me, and proved to me that what I was doing was worthwhile. It also incentivized me to create quality videos, because those would make more money. Therefore, I was super disheartened when I wasn't allowed to reap the rewards of my work, despite the fact that I had stopped view botting long ago. Finally, I discovered a new partnership program called Freedom! (the exclamation mark is in their name don't ask me why) that would place ads on my videos, and pay me, and that wasn't affiliated with Google Adsense. This is when I made my current channel, and set my nose to the grindstone (not really, I still created mediocre videos on an infrequently timescale, until just recently). I'm still not sure if I would get banned from Freedom! if they found out about my previous dastardly deeds, so I hope they never read this.

Another time, during this Dark Age of me making channels that were soon blocked from monetization (making money off of the videos), I made a collaborative channel with Martin Dalling. If you want to know the name of the channel you can ask me in person, because it's too risky to leak the channel name to the public (there's a lot of blackmail material in those videos). The funniest part about the channel was our work division. And by funny I mean infuriating because I did all of the work. By that time I had gained a little bit of experience from the past (only a little), so I would make and edit the videos at home, then upload them in school. I wanted for Martin to do something, except everything he did ended up looking like trash, like when I asked him to make a thumbnail for a video, and it looked like he drew a few lines on windows paint. So, I asked him to upload the videos at school. I can still remember hovering over him and his scuffed school loaned laptop as he slowly entered the information necessary to upload a video. Nothing against Martin, but I guess I have a high standard when it comes to making videos. The other laughable thing about the "partnership" was that we had already debated the split of the money we were going to make, and even more laughably, I had settled for 60-40, even though I did all of the work. What was going through my mind during that time? Who knows.

Comments

  1. First of all, this post could not be any funnier. The instant you began discussing YouTube and your personal channels I immediately thought of a cousin of mine who I think is in the same boat that you were... classic. Such made it very easy for me to relate to this post in a playful way. Moreover, your narrative throughout the piece is priceless, and the sly comments you make reflecting on the series of decisions you made in the past are icing-on-the-cake because you allow the reader to have a quick, sarcastic glimpse into your thoughts on the matter looking back. It is so conversational that as a reader, I feel completely comfortable and relaxed when reading... which is a great feeling! Overall, I found this post to be very entertaining and a breathe of fun, fresh air to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this post and had a smile on my face the entire time. It is hilarious that you cheated the system to get that dough (I'm literally dying right now, LOL!) and were persistent with it. I understand because you have to stay on the grind :D I'm glad that you found an alternative and I hope that it continues to work out. Also, I'm curious about this collaboration with Martin...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100 subs in 3 weeks? Wow!

    I didn't know being a upcoming YouTuber is that difficult. I watched a couple of your videos (like your "Type of League of Legends Players") and thought that you were destined to be a YouTuber. I guess I don't have the dedication to become a YouTuber.

    Although I can just make click-bait videos in Spanish 8)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so funny! So did you end up making any money I couldn't tell. I really wanted to make a Youtube channel and make money when I was younger, but I didn't know how to do it! For art last year I made a claymation video which got 56 views (practically famous). I would really like to know your channel with Martin ill be sure to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing that you created so many accounts that all got blocked, I would have stopped after the second one. But I liked how you express your disappointment in both the videos you made and Martin in general. It was very funny to read and I think that everyone has a point in their life they want to be a famous YouTuber (although that might be an overgeneralization) but it's cool that you kept making videos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you paint me in a bad light. I never tried to do thumbnails or anything, you did everything the editing. I just got to play video games and never did editing. I'm glad that my voice was never heard (that much) on youtube *cough* https://youtu.be/4iEwOm2EvBg?t=3m3s *cough*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jokes

Down Under