Down Under

Today's blog will be a funny story about the first time I ever got obsessed with a song.

It all started on a trip to "Lil Porgy's" barbecue restaurant with my dad to pick up some lunch. We had just finished playing some tennis together, and I was so hungry I felt as if my stomach was going to implode. Taking a long swig of the classic yellow Gatorade my dad brings when we play tennis, I heard a quiet flute melody begin to sound from radio. Instantly recognizing the song, my dad turned the volume way up.

"Have you heard this song before?" he asked through the loud Australian-accented singing. When I shook my said he replied with a grin: "Really? It's is a classic, just listen." Parking the car in front of Lil Porgy's, he began to shimmy and shake in the driver's seat, throwing out jazz hands to the beat of the music. Feeling the urge to join in on the fun, I started jamming out with him, following his off-pitch, but enthusiastic singing, and dancing to the tune. During those magical few minutes I forgot everything, and just let myself free. I wasn't thinking about the mistakes I had just made playing tennis, what work I had to do when I got home, or even how hungry I was. The barbecue could wait because during those few moments, all I was focused on was having fun with my dad.

After the song ended, my hunger returned, and as we devoured our rib tips, my dad explained the origin and controversy of the song to me. The 1980's Australian pop song "Down Under" had been wildly popular after it's release, topping the music charts in Australia, New Zealand, Italy, Germany, and eventually the US, where it spent 4 weeks at the Billboard #1 spot. The band "Men at Work" sold millions of copies of the song, earning a fortune. However, it was soon discovered that the core instrumental melody had been taken (or was much too similar) from another older song called "Kookaburra" and so the band was sued for much of the money they had made.

I became obsessed with the song due to its interesting history and catchy beat, but mainly because of the sheer freedom and elation I had felt when first listening to it. Every time I hear the classic drum and flute melody chime in, I am reminded of when I was sitting in the car in front of Lil Porgy's, dead hungry, having one of the greatest times of my life. That's why, to this day, I can still recite the lyrics, beginning to end, of the quirky, funny, and wholly Australian pop song that has become so sentimental to me.

Comments

  1. First off I love Lil Porgy's, and I always go with my dad! Also, I really enjoyed your story, about how this little moment made you feel and how you will remember it for a while now. It's nice to bond over songs and music with people you care about. I have never heard "Down Under", but I will for sure check it out now! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, this is sweet. I love Lil Porgy's lemon shakeups soooo much so this made me really thirsty. This is a really nice post, and a nice memory. I have great memories from this summer driving across the country with my parents and my cousin from Greece who was staying with us. We became really great friends, and the song "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman became our sort of anthem. It's a really sad song that has nothing to do with our friendship, other than the fact that we spent a lot of our time in a fast car when he came to visit. It's beautiful that music can enhance our memories and bring back all sorts of feelings on a second or third listen. Great post and really well written!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really nice. Me and my dad go to Lil Porgy's for lunch on days off as well. I think this is really cute how you describe the first time you listened to the song with your dad and I can totally see why it's important to you. One song that makes me happy every time I listen to it because of great memories is "You Gotta Be" by Des'ree. Really nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is cute. My mom buys our family Lil Porgy's occasionally, but I don't think she really has much of an ear for music. Were you writing this while hungry? No? Are you hungry now? No? How about now? No? (Why am I like this? No?) I don't think I've ever heart Down Under, I'm more of a techno music type of guy. I also find it interesting how very few people actually dine in when eating something made at Lil Porgy's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like you're recollection of this important childhood memory. The moment someone discovers music in their life is always a lot of fun to read about! I've never heard of Down Under, but I'll be sure to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful story, Lawrence, and you convey it very vividly. Thanks for sharing. (I remember that song from when I was a kid...)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jokes

Youtube Stories